Monday, August 28, 2006
Life Lessons from Ephesians 5


I have been studying Ephesians 5 this summer, and the Lord has been teaching me a lot of what it means to "not be drunk with wine wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit." I had been really convicted about how undisciplined my life was (eating habits, lack of structure in my day, etc.), and how the opposite of a "drunk" life was a disciplined/structured life (i.e. a Spirit filled life). I have started changing quite a few things, and one of them is a scheduled day. Of course, this is only the second day of this, but I can tell a difference already. I am happier and my children are happier (funny how that works!). I have been getting up early to have my devotions - instead of nap time - and it has been really special for many reasons. For one, my mind set is definitely more focused, but for an added benefit, Maggie has been getting up in the middle of my time, and is not only seeing her mommy giving God the first part of her day, but has been reading and praying with me. What a blessing! I have been also spending 45 minutes to an hour with Maggie going through several Pre-K workbooks (while Madeline has been playing in her room), and then I have been spending about 30 minutes with Madeline (reading, flashcards, etc.) while Maggie has had room time. I know a lot of you probably already do something similar to this, but I am another testimony to how a scheduled day adds so much tranquility to your life. Of course, I won't do this everyday, but on the days we are around the house, Lord willing, I will be able to keep up with this. I used to think that this would leave me with little, if any, time to do stuff around the house (and my neat-freakness did not like that prospect). But it turns out, by spending time with the girls earlier in the day, they play better the rest of the morning, and I am able to get stuff done then. Special thanks to Julie Herbster who has no idea that she is the one who influenced me to do this kind of scheduling, and to Rob, who has been sweetly suggesting this for a couple of months now!!
posted by Tfipps @ 9:29 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Leah (Parrish) Millan said…

    Trisha, that's so great! Don't give up :) I'm terrible with schedules, but I am a big fan of their first cousin-- Routine!! Also, I am learning that if I sit down and play with Olivia for a certain amount of time, she will continue to play while I slip away and get a few things done around the house-- instead of walking around my feet all morning. Press on my friend :)

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Good for you! I was also challenged this summer reading Elizabeth George's book "A Mom after God's own heart" to fulfill my main responsibilities of loving my husband and loving my children. I will be doing a post on this soon.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger carissa said…

    I think that is awesome! Good for you! I'm proud of you for getting right back into the schedule after the wkd. I'm challenged. I told Andrew that we were doing school tomorrow. I'll let you know how is goes. Emma started K-5 today, I got teary. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger carissa said…

    I think that is awesome! Good for you! I'm proud of you for getting right back into the schedule after the wkd. I'm challenged. I told Andrew that we were doing school tomorrow. I'll let you know how is goes. Emma started K-5 today, I got teary. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger LMLogan said…

    wow - scott and I were just talking about routine/schedules/discipline this morning! seems I need to start this now - it'll get harder w/ children I'm sure! thank you for this post!! made everything hit home for me!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Archives
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus. Aenean viverra malesuada libero. Fusce ac quam.
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates
© Fipps Family