Monday, March 17, 2008
Our Little Reader
Maggie is now reading...not just a little bit, but a ton!! I really feel like it happened overnight! She has known her letter sounds for almost two years now, and has been able to read small words for a year or so. Just in the past month, however, she started picking up "big" books and reading those too. I'll never forget when we were in the doctor's office several weeks ago, and I heard her start reading, "Sud-den-ly..." I thought "suddenly"?! Did she really sound that out?! And, she did...I am still in shock as to the kind of large words and complex words that she is sounding out/figuring out on her own. This picture is a typical day in our house now. Poor Madeline has lost (probably temporarily) her playmate now, since all Maggie wants to do is read. On Saturday morning, Maggie was up at 7:30-8:00 and she was still sitting reading books at 10:30. It is so exciting to see her so eager to read everything! Of course, now comes new issues...we had to talk to her already about the fact that everything you read is not good. This came up when we were at a hotel recently, and she was reading the in-room magazine that had movie ads. She said to me, "I don't think I should read that one." Even, commercials - as soon as they flash on the screen, she reads it out loud to me. She brought home a "chapter book" from the library the other day, and I thought to myself, that is way too old for her (not in content but in difficulty of vocabulary - it didn't even have pictures!), but she sat down after dinner and read the first three chapters. Of course, we still have words that I have to help her with, but it is so much fun to have a reading child. I must end this blog entry with the disclaimer: I don't take any credit for my child's reading skills...I credit Leap Frog videos, a child who loves to learn, and most of all a Gracious Heavenly Father who is the Giver of all good things, and has given Maggie such a bright mind!! Thank you Father!

posted by Tfipps @ 11:24 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Archives
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus. Aenean viverra malesuada libero. Fusce ac quam.
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates
© Fipps Family