Thursday, February 08, 2007
Growing Up Fast...

Maggie surprised me today by showing me the "project" she had been privately working on in the living room....SPELLING! I knew that she could read and spell words by sounding them out, but this was the first time that she has done it on her own - without my promptings. We have been starting (key word) to go through the book, "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons," and she really likes doing that. Another resource that has been incredible for teaching her her letter sounds are the LeapFrog videos, "Letter Factory" and "Talking Words Factory." If you don't have these, you need to pick them up at Walmart. They have them in the Leapfrog aisle for $10.00 or less.
She has also been asking a lot more questions about salvation. Last night she asked me and Rob when we got saved. We shared with her what Jesus had done in our hearts, and after that, Rob asked her when she got saved. I kind of expected her to make up a time, but she said, "I'm not saved yet." Very exciting, but sobering as well! What a responsibility we have as parents to share with our children the Good News that Jesus can save them from the power of their sin. Right now she is pretty hung up on the fact that if she gets saved she will go to heaven, and she doesn't want to go there. I just ordered some books from Moody Press - "Who is God?" "Who is Jesus?" "What Happens When We Die?", "Why Do I Do Bad Things?", Etc. I am hoping these will help her understand some of these concepts where our feeble words have not adequately done that yet.
I just want to praise the Lord that despite our foolishness and unfaithfulness as parents, He still sees fit to work in our children's hearts! What an awesome God we serve. He loves them so much more than we could ever love them, and He wants to have their hearts.
posted by Tfipps @ 12:06 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger The Owens said…

    you're a good mom, trisha! we would love to be able to see you guys when you're in the chicago area. we'll keep that in mind! please post some "belly" pictures as robbie starts to "pop" out more! i'd love to see some w/ your girls kissing your tummy, etc. so cute! would love to hear the big plans you have for the nursery too. i'm sure it will look amazing. thanks for checking in! erica

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger Rachael said…

    Trisha, what a blessing to read about what God is doing in her heart! I'm anxious for those days to come, but I'm nervous too. It is a BIG responsibility isn't it? We'll be praying for God to give you and Robbie wisdom! :)
    Rachael
    PS. Good work on the spelling!!!

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger mitchells2000 said…

    How exciting that Maggie is asking about salvation... and that she is honest about not being saved yet. We will be praying for wisdom for you. Hey - Shannon Conley was asking about digital scrapbooking on her blog conleyclan.blogspot.com and I referred her to you b/c I know you've done some. Thought maybe you could help her out.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Matt & Nicki said…

    Tricia, I love reading your posts on your blogs about all that your girls are doing and learning b/c they are within weeks of age to both of my kids. Sara my oldest, has been questioning things about salvation as well and it's good to have insight and resources from another mom. THANKS!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Archives
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus. Aenean viverra malesuada libero. Fusce ac quam.
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates
© Fipps Family